Project Management Certificate Details
The University of Houston School of Continuing and Professional Studies’s Project Management Certificate Programs are designed to help project managers and team leaders successfully plan and control a project, while coordinating their efforts to ensure workflow stability.
To earn the UH Project Management Certificate, attendees may enroll in Project Management Framework, or Project Management Fundamentals Parts 1 and 2. Each of these courses meets the educational requirement for the PMP® or CAPM® Exam.
Project Management Framework Certificate
- Understand the typical challenges faced in managing projects and how to address them.
- Understand the importance of the multiple processes required to manage a project effectively (project management, application area process, culture change management process, and team management process).
- Master the practical use of the Process Groups of the PMBOK Guide (Project Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitoring and Control, Closing).
- Master a more practical and logical use of the Knowledge Areas of the PMBOK Guide (Stakeholder, Scope, Quality, Procurement, Communication, Human Resource, Time, Cost, Risk, and Integration Management)
- Master the use of a project planning and control worksheet tool to manage a project effectively.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the project management planning process by working through a comprehensive case study to be completed during the course.
Project Management Fundamentals Certificate
Part 1: Tools and Techniques (24 Hours)
- Effectively initiate, plan, execute, control, manage risks, and successfully close your projects.
- Define stakeholder requirements and set realistic goals and objectives.
- Organize your projects using a work breakdown structure.
- Allocate resources and develop a capacity plan.
- Develop schedules and realistic budgets.
- Control and report on single or multiple projects.
- Use these tools to create the desired behaviors in project team members and stakeholders.
Part 2: The People Side (16 Hours)
- Understand leadership skills and techniques.
- Create, build and lead your project teams.
- Learn your personal problem-solving style and how it relates to others.
- Develop effective communication plans for both internal and external communications.
- Motivate and empower team members.
- Learn Situational Leadership - how to rapidly change your leadership skills to meet the needs of both the situation and the people being led.
This Certificate Program includes seven workshops in Part 1, as well as a 60 question online assessment of your baseline PM skills and an action plan for improvement. Part 2 includes four workshops and personal tests.